Friday, July 29, 2011

Beating The Odds...

...And kicking their ass!!

- Ruptured brain aneurysms are fatal in about 40% of cases. Of those who survive, about 66% suffer some permanent neurological deficit.

- Approximately 15% of patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) die before reaching the hospital. (that's what I had!) Most of the deaths from subarachnoid hemorrhage are due to rapid and massive brain injury from the initial bleeding which is not correctable by medical and surgical interventions.

- 4 out of 7 people who recover from a ruptured brain aneurysm will have disabilities.

- Brain aneurysms are most prevalent in people ages 35 - 60 and there are typically no warning signs. Most aneurysms develop after the age of 40.

- Subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) is one of the most feared causes of acute headache upon presentation to the emergency department. Headache accounts for 1 – 2% of the emergency room visits and up to 4% of visits to the primary care offices. Among all the patients who present to the emergency room with headaches, approximately 1% has subarachnoid hemorrhage. (Oooooh, that must be why InstaCare gave me meds and sent me home!!)

- There are almost 500,000 deaths worldwide each year caused by brain aneurysms and half the victims are younger than 50.

I am so grateful to be one month out and doing so well. Walking, talking, no permanent damage, and I even have my weird, sick sense of humor back. (GREAT!) I feel so grateful to be alive and to be recovering and to be happy. I wake up every morning in pain, but with knowledge that today will be better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better still. I have my family and I'm still here -- and that's all I need.

9 comments:

B and J said...

WOW! your posts are making me a little teary eyed lately. SO glad you're ok rachel

Rob Allen said...

You're awesome!

Celeste said...

Amazing. What a blessing that you are alive and recovering. SOOOOO glad!

Anonymous said...

love you rach. you are a warrior

D'Laina said...

That is crazy! I'm sooo glad your ok and your doing better. Nuts about your car seat seriously people GET A LIFE! I loved having Lily over, for sure have to over again! Get better!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you are doing a lot better too!

BTW, do you need a babysitter? Or do you know of anyone that does? I have a small in-home daycare and I have a few openings. Call or pass my number along 435.695.4848

Lori said...

We love you, Rach, and are so glad you are such a fighter!

Mindy Hill said...

Love you my sweet friend. I hope it goes without saying that I'm glad you beat those odds. You are so loved and such a blessing to so many people, but especially to me. Here's to a lifetime of raising hell together!

The Carlson Crew said...

Rachel, Holy Hades! I'm so grateful that you're doing well...I wish I could come help you! Keep feeling better!