Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Weight Has Been Lifted

After:
1. TSH Test (Thyroid)
2. Comp Metabolic Panel
3. ESR Test (Inflammation)
4. CBC (Complete Blood Count)
5. Ferritin Test (Iron)
6. Urine Analysis
7. Second Urine Analysis
8. Vit D Test
9. EBV Test (Mono)
10. tTG Test
11. IgA Test
12. TPO Test (Thyroid)
13. Antithyroglobulin Ab Test (Thyroid)
14. Second Ferritin Test
(About 1 month of blood and urine tests and a HUGE BRUISE on my arm)

I just learned today that I tested extremely high for the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) commonly known as MONO!
This may sound like a small title for my months of malaise, fatigue, headaches and soreness, but it is a real blessing to finally find out what is going on.
You wouldn't believe how many excuses doctors gave me, like meds, caffeine, depression, etc. but I knew that something was really wrong! I felt like a crazy person trying to describe how I felt to doctor after doctor, but I finally found one who listened. She gave me the time I needed to describe what was happening to me. When our first set of tests came back normal, she ordered a second. When our second set came back normal, she ordered a third. And I am so glad.

Today I am still feeling tired (and I'm supposed to for a few more months) but have hope for the future because I know what's going on!!
Thanks for all of you who have been supportive and understanding, and I will keep everyone updated on my status!

I came home with a big bag of "recommended goodness" from the pharmacy. I would love to hear any of your Mono stories or advice!

7 comments:

Nate,Lindsay & Teagan said...

I had mono October 2004 right when I moved down to UT I took a nap one Sunday after church and woke up in the worst pain I have ever felt in my life.. Achy body sore throat I couldn't even move!! I was shaky.. It was horrilbe.. It was so bad my mom surprised me and flew here to take care of me.. Went to the doctors they said it was strep and gave me loritab for my pain.. Anyways I had that happen about every three months.. For a year half the time my test came back for strep the other half negitive.. Finally they told me it was mono.. I remember once when I was sick I was on the couch at my apartment and using my roommates blanket and she wrote me a note and left it on my bed saying please wash my blanket I don't appreciate you using it while you're suck.. Turns our she was the one who gave it to me!! Haha It was frusterating the last time I had it was about a month after I got married.. But haven't had it since.. So I feel your pain.. It's no fun!! I am tired all the time bit I think every mom is!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you figured out what is going on. What a relief, now you just have to wait it out. I hope the remedies help you feel better :)

Landon said...

I'm so glad you figured everything out! Thank goodness for a doctor who listened!

I got mono right before moving down to Provo for my freshman year. It was hell. The doctor told me my spleen was so swollen that with any physical activity, there was a high possibility that my spleen would burst and kill me. Awesome, right? I honestly don't know how I made it through my first semester. I slept a lot. And I was living in the dorms and frequently wanted to murder the other girls on my floor. Frequently. (Ask Amanda or Bethany and they'll tell you.) The doctor told me that once my sore throat was gone, I was no longer contagious. (I hope she was right!) She also said that I would forever carry mono. So there have been times when I've been really stressed or busy and have felt like I've been hit with mono again - achey, headaches, super duper tired. And it does feel different from anything related to depression. I wish I could tell you what made me feel better or helped me deal with it. I know I skipped a lot of classes that semester and slept. (Maybe that's why my roommate hated me.) I felt super sick to my stomach all the time with mono and I couldn't swallow either, so eating was interesting. I basically lived on Coke (I had my dad smuggle several 24 packs into my dorm when I was moving in because I thought people would judge me. Clearly I've gotten over that!). Looking back now, I probably should've eaten better - like super healthy. But I was a freshman, so, yeah right.

Dustin said to tell you there's a place in Salt Lake that will pay you $600 for some of your blood - like doing plasma. But they want the mono virus antibodies. They'll only do it though if your antibody count is over a certain level but you should check it out!

Feel better! And if I think of any helpful remedies, I'll bring them when I come out in Feb!

Celeste said...

I'm so sorry to hear you have Mono but at least now you KNOW what it is! Thank goodness you finally found a Doctor who cared enough to find out. My only quesiton is...who you been kissing??? hahaha, good luck on the recovery and TAKE IT EASY!
p.s. I LOVE the relax pack I got! But you didn't charge enough..it was $5 for shipping alone!

Lori said...

I'm glad you finally figured out why you haven't been feeling well. How frustrating that must have been!! And thanks for your comment on my blog. Yesterday was a REALLY bad day, and it was just what I needed to here. Brandon woke up at 3:30 am and I really don't think he fell back asleep at all. I sent him back to bed, like, 5 times. He woke Eric up at 5:00 and I finally broke down and cried and cried around 6:00 not know how I would function throughout the day because I was so tired. Anyways, I hope all your new drugs get you feeling better soon!

Christine Segura said...

Rachel, i am so glad you feel this weight lifted! You deserve to know the truth and I hope it is over soon. We love you!

Anonymous said...

so you didnt get a shot?! i got a shot in my butt when i had mono and it felt thick as peanut butter going in!